2.12.2013

Lola Goes to....The Smithsonian!

The Smithsonian is kind of a big deal in the Museum world. I was very excited to experience the inauguration and was beside myself when I found out that the museum was open the whole weekend! 

So, after all the festivities of welcoming President Barack Obama into his second term, standing outside in the cold for over 4 hours and charging my phone in a random hotel; I was able to visit the Smithsonian. Unfortunately, I was only able to visit one of 19!

The Hirshhorn Museum of Sculpture Garden. 




Before you even enter the building, you are welcomed by what seemed to be ton pound sculptures of monks playing in perfectly manicured gardens. One the walking path you are surrounded by huge, abstract figures that create different shadows when the suns hits them a certain way. 

Alexander
Calder (Below)
When you first enter the gallery you are bombarded with bold letters in red, white and black and a equally imtimdating security guard. 


First Stop. Gift Shop!
I bought more than I should have of course! 


Ai Weiwei was the featured artist exhibit. This was a collection of photos, sculptures, installations, and some unexplainable artwork, it was quiet amazing.








Many of his pieces are large, simple sculptures or installations.

My favorite pieces in the collection!

 When you look into the holes, there is an endless amount of different designs depending on which angle you look from. 









About Unknown

My name is Lola Waters.

You Might Also Like