3.13.2013

Teen Vogue, Whats really going on?


Featuring a basic outfit on their homepage. #Problem1

So I do not know if this is the elephant in the room for the fashion industry, but it needs to be talked about!

 Is it just me or is Teen vogue the annoying little sister that hangs around older, cooler, teenage sister and tries to be down with the crew when no one invites the immature child...Was that kind of harsh?

 With that being said, I feel that T.V. has become a teeny-bopper, childish magazine that is unrealistic of the teenager girl (Or fantastically flamboyant guy) nowadays.

To be able to attach "Vogue" at the end of your name, you are expected produce greatness. I feel that Teen Vogue is not only producing less than, it promotes mediocrity. (Refer to first photo.)


Ann Wintour, one of the greatest editors in chiefs of all time not only in fashion journalism but in journalism in general, upholds a standard that is one-of-a-kind. With each magazine Vogue producers she goes through the pages with a fine-tooth comb and deletes, inserts and edits every inch of the glossy stationary before sending it to print. Where is the Ann Wintour for Teen Vogue? Where is the force-to-be-reckon with attitude with their journalism, the prestigous legacy? Wintour invented the idea of celebrities covering fashion magazines and ran with it, while Teen Vogue lags behind like a hurt pup.

Maybe I grew out of the stage of the Disney celeb crazed girl and I should just move onto Kim Kardashian but, I shouldn't have too. I'm only 19 and I still can relate to teenagers although my seniority of still having "teen" attached to my age will soon expire.

Maybe my problem is not with Teen Vogue but with the fact that someone has yet to develop a magazine for girls like me. I want a magazine that does not have to send me a thousand e-mails a day for me to look at their website. One that every time I walk past a news stand I not only just get a pack of gum, but gum and their latest issue.
No thank you. 

Although Elle is still one of my favorite magazines and Vogue of course is something that will always be in my collection, they to are disconnected with my lifestyle. I can not afford 99.99997% of the things that they feature in their magazines.

The fashion spreads are divine, the celebrities and interviews they feature are worth reading and their insight on beauty tips are impeccable! They strive show the finer things in life and make people want it. Their purpose is to sell it to people who can afford it, and they do. So for that, I can not fault them.

Where is the magazine for the a broke, college student that has a part time job and loves shopping but is on a budget? I know I can not be the only person in this predicament.

Bloggers have become the new outlet but sometimes I yearn to feel the pages, cut-out the pictures and just look at something while the 6 train is stuck in the station. It's not the same to look at a magazine on an app rather than a roughly 8x10 booklet.

Am I asking to much? Comment below and let me know what you think!




About Unknown

My name is Lola Waters.

You Might Also Like